Hello Brighton, Michigan!
We’ve got nine days left until perhaps the most important election in our lifetime. After listening to Michelle and Trevor, are you as fired up to elect Mitt Romney as I am?
By the way, I loved Mitt Romney’s Sesame Street satire at a recent charity event. He said, “Barack Obama, brought to you by the letter ‘O’ and the number ‘sixteen trillion’”. Romney’s satiric reference to our national debt of $16 trillion highlights the sustainability crisis of the current administration.
It’s really ironic that radicals like Obama constantly harp about sustainable energy and sustainable environment, and yet his administration has led us to an unsustainable economic future called “the fiscal cliff”.
The reckless policies of the Obama administration are so unsustainable, that our grim situation is not even about politics any more. It’s not about left or right, or conservative or liberal. It doesn’t matter if you’re in the 1%, the 47%, or the 99% -- if the government can’t afford its life style, everything it promises is an illusion.
Let’s take a deeper look at how unsustainable Obama’s current path is:
1) Social Security is unsustainable if it isn’t fixed. The social security trust fund is an illusion of uncollectible IOU’s – it’s phantom $2.5 trillion in assets have all been lent to the general fund of the government and squandered on wasteful things like windmills and corrupt green energy companies. Payments into the program have been cut for political expediency. We need a leader like Mitt Romney who will stop lying to our seniors and who will courageously take the necessary steps to make Social Security solvent again.
2) The Federal Government’s finances are unsustainable, with its skyrocketing $16 trillion debt. In 2011 alone, the federal government borrowed almost 40% of its operating expenses. It borrowed from China, it borrowed from our children, and it borrowed imaginary monopoly money printed by the Federal Reserve. In 2011, the government borrowed $1.3 trillion, while only collecting $1.1 trillion in personal income taxes. Think about that -- to eliminate the deficit for just 2011, we would have had to more than double all personal income taxes, not just taxes paid by the rich. We need a president like Mitt Romney who understands finance and how to balance budgets, not a professional community organizer who only understands victimhood and class warfare.
3) How can we sustain a secure place in a dangerous world -- a world threatened by Islamic terrorism, Russian aggression, and Chinese expansion -- when the radicals in Washington drastically cut military spending to pay for transfers of wealth to union cronies and to people who don’t want to work? We are rotting from within as our enemies abroad grow stronger. We need a president like Mitt Romney who will exercise the first and most important responsibility of his office, which is to protect us from harm here and abroad. We need a leader who realizes that an apology tour and constant appeasement are not legitimate substitutes for a strong national defense.
4) Our civil society is unsustainable when 48% of the voters pay zero federal income tax. Today, we have more and more free riders in our society, and fewer and fewer people pulling the wagon. The percentage of people working in America is at a 40 year low, and the number of people on food stamps and disability are both at record highs. We need a president like Mitt Romney who realizes that prosperity is a result of people working and investing, and not a result of people taking handouts and condemning those who actually did build that.
5) Our freedom and individual rights will be unsustainable if the radicals in Washington are allowed to push us ever closer to Socialism. Socialism always leads to totalitarianism, because it is a philosophy based on force rather than freedom. Consider these threats to your freedom from an ever-expanding government:
- When the government transfers income from productive citizens to unproductive citizens, they essentially are taking hard-earned wealth with the implied force of the IRS and its power to imprison those who fail to conform.
- When the government takes over the health care industry, it will inevitably take over our behavior. It starts with regulating soft drinks and school lunches, it will never end.
- When the government takes over the energy industry, it will inevitably take over our behavior. It starts with regulating light bulbs and gas mileage, it will never end.
- When the government harasses small businesses with regulations and taxes and forced unionization, it begins the process of taking over the entire economy. It will never stop.
As Benjamin Franklin said, “Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” The radicals in Washington are tempting America with the temporary safety of big government. In doing so, they are imposing on us an unending parade of unaccountable czars, unconstitutional executive orders, and other abuses of our individual freedoms.
We are frogs being slowly boiled in a pot of socialism. If we don’t stop the radicals, the middle class will perish, caught in a pincer movement between the poor, who won’t be able to pay for the government’s reckless spending, and the rich, who will simply find somewhere else to safeguard their wealth. We in the middle class will be left holding the bag.
Remember, every socialist country in history has devoured its middle class. We’re already seeing this happen in America: middle class wealth is down 20% in the last ten years, middle class incomes are down, the prices of food, gas, health care, and education are up, and middle class retirement savings are evaporating. The road to socialism will always lead to unsustainable government and unsustainable civil society. Just as Margaret Thatcher said, socialism is fine until you run out of other people’s money. It is truly unsustainable.
Ironically, we Americans already have a fabulous blueprint for a sustainable government and a sustainable society. It’s called the U.S. Constitution. That grand vision of our forefathers is the greatest blueprint for sustainable society in the history of the world.
But, the Obama administration wants to continue ignoring our Constitution and moving this country leftward – he calls it forward – toward socialism. So, let me ask all of you, are you ready to fight for limited government in America? Are you ready to fight to defend the sanctity of the Constitution? Like our forefathers, are you ready to fight for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? In other words, are you ready to deliver Michigan for Mitt Romney and fire Barack Obama on November 6th?
Let’s do this! Thank you.